The Fall Yoga Studies Program
Do you ever find yourself at a loss when you try to practice yoga on your own at home?
Many people love taking a yoga class, but when it comes to setting up the mat in a space at home, you get stuck. You ask yourself; how should I begin? What should I do? What if I’m doing it wrong? These are common thoughts and feeling that come up.
The Fall Yoga Studies Program is designed to take you from class participant to home practitioner.
- Become familiar with 75 asanas in the Level 1 Syllabus of Iyengar Yoga certification
- Learn adaptations for minor ailments such as neck and shoulder, knee, and low back issues, and how to practice during the menstrual cycle
- Get immersed in yoga philosophy through reading and some brief writing assignments
- Discover the power of restorative asanas to recuperate mind and body
- Learn the gradual progression from breath awareness to pranayama to meditation
- Create a regular practice schedule for yourself – as mild or intense as you like
- One year of Iyengar yoga class experience
- Weekly attendance in an Iyengar yoga class
- Sincere interest yoga and willingness to immerse yourself only in Iyengar Yoga during this period (not mixing methods).
Aside from class hours, additional resources are available, including online flashcards to help you learn the names and pronunciation of asanas, sequences for home practice, and opportunities to submit written asana sequences for review by the teacher.
The program will take place in-person at Alcove Yoga Studio on 4 weekends in the Fall of 2022.
5:30 to 7:30 pm: Asana and primary actions
- 1:30 to 2:30 pm: Yoga Philosophy
- 2:45 to 5:45 pm: Asana and Primary Actions or Special Topics
- 9 to 11 am: Restoratives and pranayama or Asana (depends on what will be taught in Sunday intermediate class)
- 4 to 5:30 pm: Intermediate Class
Reading Materials: All available for Purchase from IYNAUS.org Store.
- The Tree of Yoga, by BKS Iyengar
- Yoga in Action: Preliminary Course, by Geeta Iyengar
- Yoga in Action: Intermediate Course, by Geeta Iyengar
- Light on Yoga, BKS Iyengar
- Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, by BKS Iyengar
- Yoga, a Gem for Women, Geeta Iyengar
- Light on Pranayama, BKS Iyengar (recommended)
- Yoga Asana Anatomy, Dr. Hermann Traitteur (recommended)
Price: $200 per weekend,
or $750 for all 4.
Those who maintain a basic monthly membership ($120/month) at Alcove Yoga will receive a 15% discount on Iyengar Yoga Studies.
- “Special Topics” include but are not limited to: handling common ailments, modfications for menses, principles of sequencing in asana practice, manual adjustments, Sanskrit pronunciation, japa, and mantra.
- There will be some short writing assignments to help students engage in and reflect on readings.
- Mentorship is available for those interested in becoming Certified Iyengar Yoga Teachers (CIYTs). This is a 3-year process of preparation and study, followed by a recommendation and application for assessment.
- Informal learning is considered a very important aspect of Iyengar Yoga training. Opportunities for informal learning through observation of and apprenticeship in Pauline’s classes will be available in beginning level classes including: Iyengar Ignite!, Women’s Essentials, Men’s Essentials, Ignite 50+, and Pregnancy class.