Teacher Study Group
📣 Announcement: Alcove Yoga 2022-23 Teacher Study Group Coming this Fall. This program is designed to provide education for mastery of the Level 1 Syllabus of Iyengar Yoga.
If you are interested in teaching Iyengar Yoga, or simply want to do more in-depth study of yoga asana, anatomy, and philosophy, this program could be for you!
- To deepen one’s own practice of asana and pranayama
- Understand stages of various asanas in Level 1 syllabus
- To gain a solid foundation in yoga philosophy
- To understand principles of sequencing in asana practice
- Learn how to observe students in asana practice
- Learn the concise language of Iyengar yoga teaching
- Learn basic modifications of asana practice for minor ailments and menstruation
- Establish a firm foundation for teaching asanas of the Level 1 Syllabus
- Regular attendance of Iyengar Yoga classes
- Membership in IYNAUS (Iyengar Yoga National Association)
- Regular home practice of asana and pranayama
- Passion for the subject of yoga
The program will take place in-person at Alcove Yoga Studio on 4 weekends in the Fall of 2022.
5:30 to 7:30 pm: Level 1 Asana Class
- 8:30 to 9:30 Pranayama
- 10:00 to 12:00 Level 1 Asana Class
- 1:00 – 2:00pm Yoga Philosophy
- 2:30 – 5:30 Peer Teaching Practice and Special Topics
- 1:00 – 3:30 Peer Teaching
- 4:00 -5:30 Asana Class
Required Reading Materials: All available for Purchase from IYNAUS.org Store.
- Tree of Yoga, by BKS Iyengar
- Yoga in Action: Preliminary Course, by Geeta Iyengar
- Yoga in Action: Intermediate Course, by Geeta Iyengar
- Light on Yoga, BKS Iyengar
- Light on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, by BKS Iyengar
- Yoga, a Gem for Women, Geeta Iyengar
- Light on Pranayama, BKS Iyengar
- Basic Guidelines for Teachers of yoga, Geeta Iyengar
Price: $200 per weekend,
or $750 for all 4.
Those who maintain a current monthly membership at Alcove Yoga will receive a 15% discount on teacher study group tuition.
- Mentorship is available for those interested in becoming Certified Iyengar Yoga Teachers (CIYTs). This is a 3-year process of preparation and study, followed by a recommendation and application for assessment. We will be following the guidelines from RIMYI and IYNAUS in our study of the Level 1 syllabus for teacher certification.
- Opportunities to observe Pauline teach, and then to assist in class will be available in beginning level classes. These include Iyengar Ignite!, Women’s Essentials, Men’s Essentials, Ignite 50+, and Pregnancy Class.
- After the Four-month teacher study sessions are complete, it may be possible for qualified students to start subbing in classes at Alcove Yoga.